News
Sep 19, 2017

Where Every Name Tells a Story


A new coastal place-name exhibition celebrating the beauty of the Dumfries and Galloway shoreline and the language used to describe it can now be seen at the Mill on the Fleet in Gatehouse. 

The exhibition features images depicting the coastline and the history and stories behind the origins of place-names which often use words that have disappeared from our everyday language.

 

When the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps were first surveyed in 1843 the surveyors were tasked with confirming the authenticity for each place name in the Object Name Book. When the maps were published the spoken word became a written word, and by appearing on a map it became the “official” name. Using the Object Name Book as a starting point the exhibition explores how names such as Bloody Neuk, Gauger’s Loup and Dookers Bing have evolved and what they mean.

 

Local place names featured include The Borg, Corbies Cove, Craignesket and Larry’s Isle.

 

Solway Coastwise Exhibition

 

The Mill on the Fleet is open between 10am – 5pm daily until the end of October and admission is free. For more information about the Solway Coastwise Project visit the web page

Solway Firth Partnership